KSV’s students come from the many rural and urban communities in North Karnataka where access to education is limited. Admission to KSV is only offered to children whose families are facing socio-economic challenges.
- 30% of students belong to the Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes (communities officially recognized by the government as historically, socially and economically disadvantaged)
- 70% come from large families classified as Other-Backward-Castes (recognized by the government as below the poverty line)
- 25% come from single-parent families
- 5% are orphans
- 15% of the parents are illiterate and did not attend school
- 40% of the parents did not complete primary school
- None of the parents attended university